MLK, JR

Last Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr Day. Also on last Monday, I listened to a Jay Z CD on my commute home. Correlation doesn't always imply causation, but this time it did. I am pretty sure one of Jay Z's songs had a xylophone in it. I wondered how a song I did with a xylophone in it would sound? Probably not the same as Jay Z's. Another one of his songs mentioned something about 30 being the new 20. I don't really know what that means, unless he is talking about weight. I have gained about 30lbs since I was 20. Though I did lose 8lbs in the month of January, so look out Ryan Gosling, here I come.

On that Monday morning, a radio station played Martin Luther King, Jr's "I have a dream" speech in its entirety. Have you ever heard it all the way through? Unfortunately, I hadn't in my previous 31 years of life but I did that day.You should right now:


And somewhere during that 15min+ speech, I'm pretty sure I turned into an elderly black lady sitting in church. While listening, I was all, "Mm-hmm!" and "You know that's right!" and I said it very vivaciously and with soul.

PS. I started to post this last week, however I came down with the swine flu and never got around to it. But now it is Black History Month so it is still timely.

2 comments:

Some Guy said...

Along the lines of "30 is the new 20", I can never remember if orange in the new black or vice-versa. Nor do I know what that really means.

Scott said...

SG, I dont think anyone does, but we keep trying.