Hand Raising and Hand Shaking

Several months ago we started going to a new church. They raise their hands there. Not to be called on or anything, that would be weird. I mean during worship songs. Then, not too long ago I saw this video and thought it was funny. I hope you do too.



For the record, I pretty much hang around in the "Elbow Flapper" stage, but I've been known to mix in the occasional foot tap to keep things fresh. Also, I never sing out loud. The bible tells us to make a joyful noise, if I sang it would be the opposite of that. And the last thing I want to do is the opposite of what the bible says.

I really enjoy this new church. I feel like truth is taught there and they have a genuine love for the gospel. Also, there are a lot people with beards. Mostly men, which is good. But one complaint I do have is the older gentleman who greets you when you first walk in is a limp-wrist handshaker. It's like trying to shake hands with a wet tube sock. And it is the first impression of the church! This isn't a good omen considering you are hopefully at church searching for something solid.

He appears to be a sweet old man who I am sure loves Jesus. That's why I think I am going to say something to him next week. Just yesterday, I read this Tim Challies article where he points out that admonition is not only loving, but commanded in scripture. And the last thing I want to do is the opposite of what the bible says.

The church greeter's handshake form may be the most underrated, never spoken about factor a visitor's decision to return to the church hinges on. In fact, pastors or church planters that might be reading, you should probably hold an Emergency Handshaking Boot Camp for all the greeters in your church ASAP. You can use this post from the now defunct Dr. Awesome site to guide the itinerary.

Guys, we may have just blown the doors off one of the most crippling problems in the church of modern America. I'm not going to lie, it feels good. If you were here, I would give every one of you a congratulatory firm-wrist handshake.

Do you ever do the opposite of what the bible says?

1 comment:

Ricky Anderson said...

"You, Sir, are a champion."

I've used that for almost 4 years now. Thanks!