Protect Your Copper Wiring


Guys, it hit 106 degrees in Atlanta the other day. I think they said that was some kind of state record. I’m not sure because it was hard to hear over the 7 box fans I had pointing at me. No matter if was a record or not, that is hotter than I typically enjoy. It also made me think of this post I wrote almost exactly one year ago.

I saw on the news that thieves are breaking people’s air conditioning units to steal the copper wiring inside. I’d be so ticked if that happened to me. I’d be like Liam Neeson in Taken:

“I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired mostly while enjoying air conditioning. Skills that make me a nightmare for people who break my air conditioning. If you fix my AC right now that will be the end of it; I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kick you in the crotch then hurriedly run away before you have a chance to get up.”*

*Actual Liam Neeson quote from the movie Taken. Possibly paraphrased.

Seriously though, I wanted to warn all of you about this so you could booby trap your AC units or something. Maybe set a milk jug full of pennies on top of your units. That way the thief will be all “Oh, I will just take this jug of copper money rather than going through the trouble of breaking this air conditioning unit.” Because I think even thieves can be reasonable too if given the opportunity.

However, this is risky because I am pretty sure pennies are not even of made copper anymore which means they may not be a temptation to the thief at all, only proving how worthless pennies really are. If pennies can't avert burglars from breaking your air conditioning unit, do they even serve a purpose?

No matter what pennies are made of, chances are the thief will take your milk jug of pennies and steal your copper wiring. But the joke is really on them because you can put one of those paint ball things in your jug that explodes when the jug is opened. Like banks do. Then they will get arrested for being painted. I think that is how the judicial system works. Don't quote me on that though.

But for real, y'all, please don’t break my AC unit. It’s hot.

This was a year ago and I don't think I have heard of copper theft as being as big of an issue as it used to be so I can only assume my jug of pennies idea has made a difference. Or, they are making AC units out of whatever they make pennies out of now. Honestly, probably neither of those.

Is it hot where you are or should I hate you?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

haha...we were watching that movie last night. It was on TV! I would be mad too. I went running this morning and the breeze felt more like hot dog breath. Disgusting.
We had fun in Auburn talking about old times and the topic of the water gun game came up and how you were so serious about it! HA! Good times!

Scott said...

Carol Bonsbach, grrrrrr! I should track her down now and where ever she is, no matter what she is doing when I find her, ambush her with water balloons.

I was joking when I started this comment, but now this actually kind of sounds fun.