Ada, aspiring artist

Yesterday I was in the kitchen cooking spaghetti. Real spaghetti, mind you. Not what I used to make in college that I appropriately named “college spaghetti". College spaghetti was just noodles and sauce. No meat. Meat was like three more dollars. You could make college spaghetti for less than $2. If you added meat, that brought the total cost of the meal to over $5 and at that point, you might as well go to McDonald’s. 

So, yesterday I was in the kitchen cooking spaghetti when Ada walks up to me and says, “Daddy, when I grow up I am going to be an artist.” I was happy to hear this because now she’s finally aspiring towards a real vocation, rather than “Disney princess”.

I said, “You know your Aunt Sarah is an artist?” “Really?” “Yeah, we even have one of her paintings hanging in our bedroom.” She took off running towards our bedroom. A few minutes later she came back with a very serious look on her face. “So, what do you think?”

“She’s good…but I’ll probably be better. There weren't any shapes, like circles or triangles, you know? And I would have had more butterflies.” (Note: there are no butterflies in Sarah's painting.)

Sorry, Sarah…Ada's a tough critic. Just ask Laura Beth when she cooks ANYTHING OTHER than macaroni and cheese for dinner. 

If you want to help Sarah get over this, I’m sure traumatizing setback in her career, you can go here and buy stuff from her.

Since we are talking about art, I thought I would try to capitalize and turn this picture I did with Ada several months ago into a profit. I will accept monetary donations in any amount for the print below. Also acceptable are gift cards to movie theaters and/or Chik-fil-a. True, you could just print it off yourself but that would be like stealing Jesus which I am pretty sure is EXTRA sinful and probably impossible since the gift of Jesus is always free.


In retrospect, I would have slid the text more to the right so you could actually see Jesus. But editing text boxes in MS Paint is tough. This exactly the type of stuff you wouldn't have to worry about if you buy something from Sarah.

Also, I would have changed it to Footprints on the Rainbow since rainbows are technically colored water so that would make the whole thing very biblical, but I didn't think about that until just now and like I said, editing text boxes in MS Paint is hard.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha, that's so great! I'm sure she will be a much better artist than I am!

Ricky Anderson said...

Retired.