The Friday Fives are depressing this week. Probably more so for me than for you. In fact, these probably won’t even be entertaining for you. You could probably just skip this whole post and your life wouldn’t be affected at all. As opposed to every one of my other posts which would be extremely detrimental to your physical, emotional, and mental well-being if you skipped them. This post is already not making sense. I blame it on my depression brought on by reliving all these football disappointments. And the fact that I am writing this in the last 15 minutes of my lunch break. Still, I need to go ahead and vent them before the gloom builds up within me, eventually rotting me from the inside out.
1. Fantasy football. After playing fantasy football with the same group of buddies for about 4-5yrs, and only having performed sub par at best, this year finally felt like my year. I won 10 weeks in a row to begin the season, I led the regular season in points scored, and I was the #1 seed going into the playoffs. But I ended up losing to the lowest seed in the playoffs in the first round. Choke job.
2. Bryan vs. Tyler NFL Pick’em. Two bloggers I read (Tyler Stanton and Bryan Allain) engaged each other in a fierce online NFL pick’em competition. Each asked their readers to join sides and compete against the other’s readers in picking every NFL game throughout the season against the spread. It was a team based competition, but individual records were kept and then totaled together to account for the team score. From about Wk5 to Wk 14, out of the 40-50 people competing, I led everyone the entire time. Then in Wk15 I lost the lead and in Wk16, he increased his lead on me. Finally, in Wk17, the last week of the season, I came surging back only to tie. WE TIED. Very anticlimactic. And choke job #2 for me.
3. Falcons. The Atlanta Falcons went 13-3 this year and were the NFC South champions. Great season. Like me in my fantasy football league they were a #1 seed in the playoffs. Also, like me in my fantasy football league, they lost in their first playoff game. They got killed by the Packers. Ada watched parts of that game with me and one time when the Falcons, already down by about 20+pts, were huddling up Ada turned to me very excitedly and asked, “Daddy! Daddy! Are they playing Ring Around the Rosie?” They might as well have been.
4. Second half of the Iron Bowl. No words. Only daggers to my heart.
5. Death. After the Super Bowl next Sunday, football is basically dead until the end of August. This is the most disappointing thing of all. In fact, I can not even continue writing about this for fear of tears short circuiting my computer. I hope the remainder of your Friday is less miserable than these last 400words have been to me.
Did your team disappoint you? Don't let your insides rot, let it all out here.
UPDATED: In more uplifting news, my buddy, Bull, and his wife, Mother Hen, welcomed their new son, Jack, into the world today. Baby, mom, and dad are all doing great. Click this link, at your own risk, to go see him. If you're a dude be prepared for little Jack to shame you in physical feats of strength such as the V-sit or flexed arm hang and if you're a lady prepare to be wooed.
The Archived Post Relevant The Office Quote.
Andy: Just listen, I forgot to tell you the plan for this Saturday. You, me, bars, beers, buzzed. Wings. Shots. Drunk. Waitresses, hot. Football, Cornell/Hofstra. Slaughter. Then a quick nap at my place and we’ll hit the tiz-own.